Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fitting the Pieces Into the Puzzle

Wow, I sure have to learn before I become a full-time RVer. I'm grateful I have time to figure stuff out before it's absolutely necessary.

Here are some of the things I'm learning about these days:

...Where to camp for free or at very reasonable prices...campground host jobs, government land, stores that allow you to camp in their parking lots overnight, stealth camping, etc.

...How to handle ordinary business from the road, such as banking, mail, phone, Internet access, etc.

...How to have electricity in my RV when I don't have access to fancy-schmantzy hookups...solar panels, batteries, generators, etc.

...What choices there are for RV bike racks and whether I can put a motor on my current bike or whether I want to buy something else

...How to run the various stuff inside the RV, such as the heat and stove (both on propane) and other appliances (electric...but which source of electricity do I use and when and how?)

I feel like I do when I'm starting a jigsaw puzzle. I try to look for the outside or frame pieces because then I can get an idea of how big the puzzle is and how it's organized, making it easier to eventually fit the inner pieces into place. But, right now, there are so many pieces and it's pretty confusing!

I've decided that my first motorhome field trip is going to be to Camping World in Junction City, a few miles from Eugene. They have lots of stuff that I need, and it's okay to camp in their parking lot overnight! So I'll plan on spending a night or two there, gearing up and trying out my new gear.

P.S. My attempts to avoid multitasking over the past few days have been really helpful in delineating what the questions and answers are in designing my new life as a gallivanting full-time RVer. I recommend doing things one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment