Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Grouting Day















Today my most pressing task is to get some pieces grouted in time for Thursday's Edmonds Art Walk. I already have a half-dozen pieces at The Rose House, but I have probably another half-dozen that are glued and only need to be grouted. Whether I get them all done in time is up in the air at this time, so I'm concentrating on the biggest and best pieces.

Normally I go to the Edmonds Sculptors Workshop on Tuesday afternoons to make more tiles, but I have not been able to do that for the past few weeks while getting ready for the Art Walk.

This lack of time for art should resolve soon. I have had a half-time editing job for the past 10 years that was a perfect fit for me while I was raising my youngest child. I needed to spend lots of time at home with her because public school was not a good fit and we homeschooled for a number of years. My editing job was flexible and portable, so I worked from home. But now that my youngest is 17 and can drive and exercise a lot more independence, I'm freer, too, and I've given my notice! I have to keep working for a couple of months while my replacement learns the job, which is very technical. But by sometime this coming fall, I'll have a lot more time to make tiles, assemble and grout my mosaics, and go out to market my work.

I also sell on eBay and have even achieved PowerSeller status. Most of my sales over the years have been collectibles and vintage items that I found at thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales and the like. My most successful niche has been vintage designer silk scarves. I will continue to sell found items on eBay, but I'm also looking forward to starting to list some of my own artwork when I've built up a good inventory. I'll probably use both eBay and Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment