Monday, July 13, 2009

My Studio Needs a Blog!


















I've been a busy working mom for many years. All this time, I was doing mosaic in my head. Now the kids are nearly grown, so in the past year I've finally had time to actually begin throwing it down. Or perhaps I should say gluing and grouting it down.

I've emptied out a bedroom vacated by one of the kids and created a mosaic studio. I make my own tiles at a local sculptors studio where I can use a slab roller, kilns and so on. I also break plates to make pottery and china tiles, and I incorporate found items. In fact, most of the items I choose to cover with mosaic are found objects. I browse thrift shops, garage sales, estate sales, and antique stores for furniture and other items with good bones that I can mosaic. I particularly like to do clocks.

I'm beginning to have some success with selling my mosaics. I am in two galleries this month and am the featured artist at one of them for our town's monthly Art Walk. You can see my work at The Rose House, 555 Main Street, Edmonds, Washington, all this month and particularly this Thursday night from 5 to 8 pm during the Art Walk. I also have some handmade tiles on display at the Frances Anderson Center, 700 Main Street, Edmonds, Washington.

Sue Soaring Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment